KYRIE – A CALL TO DISMANTLE WHITE SUPREMACY/PRIVILEGE
Words by Stephen Marshall-Ward, with contributors // Music by Stephen Marshall-Ward and Michael Austin Miller
Sung: Kyrie eleison. (Lord, have mercy.)
I have been complicit in this great injustice.
- From the beginning of the United States, white people have built and diligently protected a system of racial order and inequality.
- This nation is built on racism. Everything stems from it.
Sung: O God, I lament: From one generation to another, white people have caused great harm and damage to people of color. And I have been complicit in this great injustice. Kyrie eleison.
Sung: Kyrie eleison. Today I seek a better way:
- I have accepted and protected a system and institutions that centralize white people as superior.
- I have misunderstood and even ignored my contributions to this system and these institutions.
- I have misunderstood and even ignored how I have benefited from this system of injustice.
- I have misunderstood and even ignored that I have lived a privileged life at the expense of people of color from whom so much has been stolen.
- I am complicit in the harm and damage this system has caused.
- I acknowledge this history and I ask for forgiveness.
Sung: O God, I repent. Today I commit to a better way. I turn away from my daily contributions; I turn away from these many injustices. Kyrie eleison.
Sung: Kyrie eleison. The Spirit will show us the way.
- I humble myself.
- I open my mind and heart to be educated – receiving, reflecting, and changing as I gain understanding.
- I allow myself to be held accountable for my thoughts and practices.
- I release my privileges so equity for others may occur.
- I commit to interrupt racism in my daily living, relationships, and interactions.
- I commit to actively challenge and change institutional systems built on racism.
- I commit to courage and consistency in showing up for the work of racial justice.
- I commit to do my part to repair the damage and pain.
Sung: O God, help me repair: through our commitment to each other, the Spirit will show us the way. I cry out that I must take action to repair these many injustices. Kyrie eleison.
Sung: Kyrie eleison. I choose to join the dance of inclusion:
I lament, I repent, I must repair and reconcile.
- I step down and follow the lead of people of color toward an equitable future.
- I seek to make reparations – letting love and justice be my guide.
- I will not seek reward for my efforts. All will be rewarded when Justice and Equality succeed.
Sung: I choose to join the dance of inclusion: I lament, I repent, I must repair and reconcile.
Kyrie eleison. Deep in my heart I seek equality. God, let the change begin in me.
I choose to join the dance of inclusion; deep in my heart I seek equality.
God, let the change begin in me. Kyrie eleison.